17 April 2011

Kingdom of Britannia meet the Empire of the Blazing Sun

My first big game of Dystopian Wars, using all the rules for tiny flyers, cards, etc.
Dave set up his KoB fleet opposing my Blazing Sun.  We didn't set point limits here, intending to play through a friendly, learning game with all the bells & whistles.  So, in an attempt to offset his carrier & scout rotor craft I added a squadron of FSA cruisers allied with my Blazing Sun fleet this battle.  The Blazing Sun admiral was happy to have these allies.  The basic scenario here was an all out battle, the two fleets fighting for control around a tiny rock in the Indonesian waters between their colonial holdings.  I took advantage of the Blazing Sun advantage in fast movement and long range rockets, and by the end of the first turn I had destroyed a frigate and damaged a cruiser at range band 4 while my bombers launched rockets and destroyed one of the medium scout rotor craft while scoring a critical hit on the other.  I rolled plenty of sixes this turn.

Turn 2 was more of the same, Dave removing KoB ships from the table as I continued to roll sixes.  We also engaged some of the fighters during the turn, leading to consulting time with the rule book, and I neglected to take any pictures.  By turn 3 (above) the fleets closed the gap and we began to see what the British ships could do at closer range.  My bombers started their bombing run on the British battleship while my cruisers and battleship moved to keep their distance and continue firing those rocket salvos.
The last remaining British cruiser has been damaged as well, but the British move up two big capital ships, the battleship and the carrier.  And waves of fighter squadrons move to intercept the Blazing Sun bombers.
The British scored some hits on the IJN battleship, but a repair card promptly removed those at the start of turn 4 while a fighter combat air patrol prepares to fight off the approaching bombers.
The tide of battle turns when the British gun attacks from all those turrets sink one FSA cruiser and cripple another, and a pair of frigates move to board the last remaining cruiser and manage to capture it at the start of turn 5.  The British bombers successfully run at the Blazing Sun battleship, and concentrated fire manages to sink it during turn 5 as well.  We decide to call the game as a British victory because although I managed to destroy more than half of the British frigates and cruisers, the loss of the only large model in the battleship is a severe defeat.